Every now and then, you might hear about emails. In this light, Gmail is a name you might be familiar with. Isn’t it? Let us explore the difference between Gmail and email.
Alongside this, also get to know What is email, What is Gmail, and Why should you use Gmail, How to open a Gmail account, what is Gmail size search and much more.
Well, whether it is your school, college, or office, Gmail is something that exists everywhere today. Moreover, in this pandemic era, the dependency on it has significantly increased.
Sending an assignment, sending test papers, or sending official papers, Gmail is the one you use often.
So, do you know when this Gmail starts? We’ll tell to you.
Did you know that it was launched on April 1, 2004?
Considering the date, many people thought that it was a sort of joke or prank by Google. And from there, it has marked its 17th anniversary.
You’ll explore a little more about Gmail to make you familiar with it. Get on board, as the ship is ready to sail.
What is email?
Email represents Electronic mail. It is a way of exchanging email messages between individuals utilizing computerized gadgets like desktop computers, PCs, cell phones, tablets, and so on.
This message exchanging technique requires an exceptionally short duration of time to send and get messages.
Aside from sending instant text messages, the users can attach different media documents including videos, images, and graphics.
The client can send the message to a beneficiary who is miles and miles from him in practically no time.
Email assumes an imperative part of the present-day correspondence.
It upholds individual clients just as medium to enormous undertaking level business associations.
What is Gmail?
Gmail is a free email service offered by Google to its users. However, for business or organizational purposes, it is chargeable.
It serves as a secure and smart way of sending and receiving emails.
This makes for one Gmail user for every 5 people across the globe.
It was created by a Google employee named Paul Buchheit. He worked on his idea of getting a better way to handle emails.
It is beyond the realm of imagination to expect to use email services without an email service provider like Gmail.
One of the most famous email service providers, it assists in sending and receiving messages by the means of the internet.
Gmail utilizes POP or IMAP protocols that help to recover email messages from a server.
The email given by Gmail contains two segments: header and body.
The header segment comprises recipient subtleties and the subject of the email. The message is included in the body segment.
The client can attach documents, insert pictures and add links.
Assuming the client needs to send large files, for example, video documents, then, at that point, he can embed those files to Google Drive.
By and large, Gmail is the most predominant email service in today’s world.
Other than the essential mix with Google Account, it is coordinated with other significant Google administration and items, for example, Google Drive, Google+, Hangouts, YouTube, and some more.
One could have done a lot worse than choosing April 1 as the launch date of Gmail. Well, of course, it is April Fool Day and people thought of it as a prank.
But the success and wide popularity of Gmail today takes it as an interesting and elaborate story.
- To create a Gmail account, an individual needs to be 13 years or older
- The average age of a typical Gmail user is 31 years
- Over 300 billion emails were sent and received in the year 2020
- According to the Global Benchmark Report, Gmail is a popular email service used across over 25 countries
- Approximately 71% of the Gmail users access their Gmail accounts on their mobile devices
- The age of around 61% of Gmail users range between 18 to 29 years of age
- The worth of an average Gmail account today is approximately $3,588.85.
- The users get 15 GB of unified storage to share between their Google Drive, Google+ Photos and Gmail account.
- To cater to its global audience, Gmail is available to its users in 72 languages
- The average number of email accounts per user is expected to grow to 1.9 by 2022
What is the difference between email and Gmail?
The primary thing that differentiates Email and Gmail is that
- Email is a method or technique of exchanging digital messages over a communication network such as the internet
- On the other hand, Gmail is an email service provider which is provided by Google.
The Internet is a global arrangement of interconnected PC networks that joins electronic gadgets all throughout the planet.
One benefit of the web is that it permits individual users to exchange emails/ messages.
Email and Gmail are two terms identified with correspondence through the web.
Email is an electronic message. It can comprise text, illustrations, pictures, videos, and recordings.
On the other side of the coin, Gmail is an email service that is provided by Google. It is a platform to send and receive messages or emails.
Some other email suppliers are Yahoo mail, Hotmail, Webmail.
Why should you use Gmail?
There are other email service providers as well. Then, why should you use Gmail? Well, we have an answer for that too.
Among the plenty of tools offered by G-Suite, Gmail is one of them.
It allows individuals and businesses to expand their capabilities and leverage their advantage.
Get along with us and explore the reasons why you should use Gmail for individuals as well as businesses.
- For individuals, Gmail is a free service offered by Google. But the benefits are not less for businesses. For business purposes, it is an affordable option that adds several G Suite tools that bring along extra business features starting from an affordable price.
- When you Gmail to send emails, it encrypts them. You might not find this feature in several email service providers which makes them susceptible to snoopers. In every possible and applicable situation, Gmail will encrypt them.
- Gmail is a reliable service provider. You will rarely come across the Gmail server is down. With Google technology, it ensures that the email service is available to the users 99.978% time without any scheduled downtime.
- When you take the Gmail business plan, you get 24×7 support as well. you always have round the clock email and phone access to the tech team of Google in case of any problem
- To create a good professional impression, you can set up your G Suite with a professional email address – firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual users can create a Gmail account as email@example.com.
- With Gmail’s business plan, you can put your business or company logo on the top left corner of your G Suite. This allows your team to always be on-brand.
- When you sign up for a Gmail account, you gain access to a Google account that you can use for signing up, logging in or more.
- By using Hangouts, you can host video meetings with your entire team. The screen automatically focuses on the person who is speaking while intelligently muting and preventing background noises.
- With the built-in chat feature, you can perform quick and real-time communication for having those quick questions with your colleagues
- With or without internet access, you can collaborate on files and documents. You can communicate through the built-in chat feature, see edits and ask questions with the help of common.
- Gmail mail automatically threads your relevant messages together to prevent bombarding you with unopened emails from your colleague by organizing and automatically grouping your conversations.
- You can schedule meetings by automatic email invitations with the use of shared calendars to check the availability of others
- You can label and filter your email conversations. Gmail’s label acts as tags allowing you to search your emails and filter the categories automatically.
- You can easily find any email in Gmail by clicking on the search box and navigating to filter your results.
- The archive feature in Gmail allows you to archive your messages with just a click and keep them out of sight but search them later whenever you want
- Gmail can block your spam messages before they reach your inbox and reduces the chance of getting unwanted messages or viruses
- With Gmail, you can have and maintain multiple inboxes. This saves you from the task of logging in separately to your personal as well as business account.
How to open a new Gmail account – Steps
With a Google account, you can gain access to several Google products along with sending and receiving emails and downloading apps from Google play.
Here is now you can create a new Gmail account.
- Go to the Sign-in page of Google Account
- Click on ‘Create Account’
- Enter all the details such as your first name, last name, Dob and gender
- Enter a username in the ‘username’ field.
- Enter your password and confirm it
- Click ‘Next’. You can also verify a phone number in your account. This is optional
- Click ‘Next’.
- You have created your Gmail account.
Here are the steps with which you can create a new Gmail account by using an existing email address.
- Go to the Google Account Sign In page.
- Click ‘Create account’.
- Enter your name.
- Click Use my current email address instead.
- Enter your current email address.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Verify your email address with the code sent to your existing email.
- Click ‘Verify’.
What is Gmail Size Search?
Gmail size search is the feature with which you can search your emails based on their size.
Gmail has an undocumented ‘size’ search operator.
You can use it to find out all the big emails in your mailbox quickly whose size exceeds particular criteria.
The search syntax is – size: [size in bytes]
You can specify the size in MB to make the process easier.
For example – Size: 5MB or Size: 10MB will provide you with all the emails with a size greater than 5 and 10 MB respectively.
You can also combine the search syntax with filename: ext or has an attachment to get all the emails of a particular file type of has attachments.
In addition to all these search operators, you can use others as well such as larger, smaller, larger_than, and smaller_than.
You can make a combination of all these search operators to get your desired results.
For example – larger_5m smaller_than:8m
This search syntax will provide you with emails that are larger than 5 MB but smaller than 8 MB.
Can I sort my Gmail by size?
Yes, you can sort your Gmail by size.
You can do this by using the search mail bar. All you have to do is, click the dropdown arrow in the bar.
Then, use the size option to search for emails that are greater than the particular file size you want.
How do I list emails by size in Gmail?
Follow these steps to list your emails by size in Gmail.
- Go to your Gmail inbox
- Make sure that your primary tab is open
- Click on the search mail bar and click on the dropdown arrow to open the filter options
- With the use of size options – greater or less than, specify the file size to get the desired results
How safe is your Gmail account?
Your Gmail account is secured from third parties or hackers but to a certain extent.
Gmail has TLS encryption while it transfers your data. Your data is protected by the industry-standard 128-bit encryption at rest.
You can be assured of your personal data being relatively safe However, you should not consider Gmail as 100% safe as nothing is 100% secure.
You can use Gmail confidential mode to protect sensitive information from unauthorized access.
How many Gmail accounts can you open?
You can open as many Gmail accounts, as you want. No limit to the number of Gmail accounts is there that you can create.
Therefore, you are free to create Gmail accounts as per your will and requirements.
Can I have 2 Gmail accounts with the same phone number?
Yes, you can have 2 Gmail accounts with the same phone number.
Moreover, you have more than 2 Gmail accounts with the same phone number.
You can also use your existing email address to create a new one after verification.
How do I make multiple Gmail accounts?
Gmail requires you to follow an account creation process before you can use it.
For every individual, a separate account; in any case, different Gmail accounts can be made for one individual.
The reason behind a few account creation contrasts varies with one individual then onto the next.
In the event that you at any point wind up in a circumstance where you need something other than one account, follow these steps to make one for you.
Why create multiple Gmail accounts?
A Gmail can be utilized to store documents and send multimedia files of various sizes with the highest level of protection and security.
This capacity is improved by its storage limit and is hostile to viruses or against malware programming.
Nonetheless, the justifications for why you would require more than 1 Gmail account are as follows:-
Professional and Personal Use
One of the primary reasons why you might need to open numerous Gmail accounts is to separate business from personal life.
In some cases, there are messages you would have to send or get from corporate organizations or businesses.
In the event that you utilize an individual account, the possibilities that it will not be respected are high.
Then again, you could need to send messages out to loved ones; utilizing an expert Gmail would make it look excessively official.
At any rate, everybody ought to have 2 records to run for either reason.
Above all, you should focus on the arrangement of the name while making the two records.
To prevent clumsiness
An excessive number of emails from different sources could make your account look muddled and awkward.
Imagine getting messages from online stores, corporate bodies, pamphlets, etc, on the same account, also reading them all.
With various records for assigned purposes, you can change the way your inbox looks.
For example, you could make one for professional works, one more for individual use, and the keep going for bulletins or client administrations.
Luckily, every one of them can be overseen on a similar gadget.
This record division will help you realize what to check when you open the Gmail application.
To get extra storage space
Gmail generally offers a storage space of 15 GB with every email having a capacity of only 25 MB.
The amount of space it consumes is directly proportional to the number of media files you send.
This means that your chance is consuming higher storage space with a single account is high. Due to this, you need separate accounts.
Moreover, if you are in a business or a working professional, you will have to send and receive media files specific to your work.
So, you might need more than 1 Gmail account to help you with the storage part. For example, with 3 Gmail accounts, you will get
How can you create multiple Gmail accounts?
Now, you know the reasons why you can and should have multiple Gmail accounts, let’s explore how you can create them.
You can create accounts in many ways which do not require phone verification.
The Standard Method
Gmail exists on the web and as an app. Both the ways are simple and easy to use.
However, it is best to have the application as you can access your mails offline as well on occasions.
This feature is not available with the web version.
Also, with an app-based Gmail, you can synchronize it with the device as well as contacts.
Mobile Phone: Here are the steps you can follow to create a new Gmail address:
- Step 1 – Open the Gmail application on your mobile phone. Go to the right-hand corner of the app and click on the circle.
- Step 2 – A pop-up will appear. Click on add another account option. Further, click on ‘Google’. Other options are yahoo, office 365, Hotmail, outlook and more.
- Step 3 – Click on ‘Create Account’, then ‘For myself’
- Step 4 – Enter your first name, last name, date of birth and gender.
- Step 5 – Choose your Gmail address or create a unique one for yourself. Click ‘Next’.
- Step 6 – Set a password for your Gmail account. Add a profile photo (optional).
- Step 7 – Click ‘Finish’ and end the process by clicking on ‘Continue with Gmail’.
Web browser: Here are the steps you can follow to create a new Gmail address:
- Step 1 – Go to Gmail.com. If you have a Gmail account already, Click on the circle on the right-hand corner or click on the ‘Create new account’ and ‘For myself’ options.
- Step 2 – Enter all the required details – Your first name, last name, username and password. Click on ‘Next’.
- Step 3 – Enter your phone number, recovery email address (If any), date of birth and gender.
- Step 4 – Confirm all the details and click ‘Proceed’. End the process by clicking on ‘Finish.’
You can follow this process to create as many Gmail accounts as you want for your requirements.
You can easily create over 100 Gmail accounts given that you have the resources.
Fortunately, the one thing you need is a laptop, computer or mobile phone.
Next, you need an internet connection. So, now you know the process and requirements so get started.
Also Read:- How to use Whatsapp Web?
Hello! My name is Mansi Shrivastava who happens to have a knack for writing. It has not always been what I admired but developing into a writer was something I appreciate the most now. When not glued to the computer screen, I love to try my hand in arts and crafts. Also, binge-watching with a bowl of snacks has always been my thing.