HOW TO ACQUIRE AN INDIAN PASSPORT?
This article aims to impart knowledge on the process and details on how to acquire an Indian passport.
We have covered topics such as modes of application, procedure guide, documents required, fees, verification process, rules and more for you to go through.
How to apply for an Indian Passport – A simple procedure guide
A person can make an application for a passport online as well as offline.
It is advised to keep all the documents required handy throughout the process to ensure a smooth flow.
Online Procedure for Indian Passport
We have provided below the procedure to be followed while making an online application for a passport.
- Register at the official website – Seva Portal
- Login into the portal
- Click on “Apply for a fresh passport”
- Fill in the details required and click submit
- After submission, click on “Pay and Schedule Appointment” and schedule an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra
- For booking appointments, online payment is mandatory
- Click on “Print Application Receipt” and print the application receipt for further process
- The Application receipt contains the appointment number/ application reference number
- Visit the passport office at the scheduled appointment with all the required original documents
In-Person or Offline Procedure for Indian Passport
You can make a passport application offline or in-person as well. You need to follow the given procedure to make an offline application.
- Visit the District Passport Cell (DPC)
- Collect the application form, fill in the details and submit the form
- The applicant has to fill the application form and submit along with the self-attested photocopies of the required supporting documents
- Take the original documents as well for verification at DPC counter
- The DPC counter official will verify the details in the application form, photograph attached and the document photocopies with the original documents
- Pay the fees in the form of a demand draft upon successful verification
- You’ll get an acknowledgement letter containing the File Number
- With the file number, you can track the status via the “Track Application Link” on the homepage of the Passport Seva portal online
What documents do you require to apply for an Indian passport?
Before you apply for a passport, go through this list of documents we have furnished below.
These documents have to be submitted to get a fresh passport.
The following documents are accepted as address proof to apply for a passport.
- Voter ID Card
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN card
- Driving License
- Photo passbook of a running bank account
- Electricity or water bill with current address
- Landline/ postp’/;aid mobile bill
- Rent agreement
- Proof of a gas connection
- Copy of passport of spouse (First and last page)
- Passport of parents
- Income tax assessment order
- Certificate from employer (Reputed companies on letterhead with seal and signature)
The following documents are accepted as an age proof of the applicant.
- School Leaving certificate
- Policy Bond issued by Public LICs stating the DOB of the insurance policyholder
- Birth certificate (issued by the municipal authority or any other authorized body)
What is the fee to apply for an Indian passport?
Furnished below is the structure of the application fee required to acquire a passport. The details provided below are for adults as well as minors.
|Required passport||Pages||Validity||Application Fee||Tatkal Fee (Additional)|
|Fresh passport||36 pages||10 years||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|Fresh passport||60 pages||10 years||Rs. 2000||Rs. 2000|
|Fresh passport||36 pages||5 years of till minor attains 18 years of age||Rs. 3000||Rs. 2000|
What is the passport verification process?
Once you have made an application for a passport, you will then have to undergo police verification.
Police verification is done as a part of security measures before a passport is issued to you.
Depending on certain factors, it can be done before or after the issuance of a passport.
What are the modes of Police Verification?
This is carried out before a passport is issued to the applicant. Upon the submission of the application, the application, identity and address details are transmitted to the appropriate police station.
The in-charge officer verifies all the information including the address location and personal details.
When found accurate and correct, the officer’s verification report is conveyed to the passport office.
In certain cases, police verification is carried out after the issuance of the passport. This is often done to the government employees who submit a No objection certificate through Annexure “M”.
Some cases do not require a police verification pre or post-issuance of their passport.
Often the government employees who submit an “identity certificate” through annexure “B” do not have to undergo verification.
The same is the case with diplomatic or official passport required they submit their identity certificate through annexure “B”.
What documents are required during police verification?
The documents which the persons submit during the time of their application are required during verification as well.
What are the passport application rules in India?
The Ministry of External Affairs has initiated several changes in the passport application rules and process which are as follows:
- Applicants can submit any one of the eight documents as a proof of DOB while making a passport application
- Applicants now only require to provide the name of either their mother, father or local guardian
- Nine annexes are required to be given by the applicant which will be in the form of a self-declaration on a plain paper
- Annexure K or marriage certificate is not required to be submitted by married applicants
- Children born out of wedlock have to submit only Annexure G
- Orphan children without a DOB proof can submit a declaration by the Head of the orphanage or child care home on their official letterhead
In how many days can you get your passport after application?
Usually, from the date of application, the standard time for receiving a normal fresh passport is 30 days.
It generally takes two to three weeks before you could receive your passport after making an application and completing the procedure. A similar time is taken in case you apply for passport renewal.
In an instance, if you have applied for a Tatkal passport, you can receive it within one to three days of making the application.
What are the types of Indian Passport?
Considered to be one of the most powerful documents, the Indian passport offers Visa on Arrival and visa-free travel to various countries across the world.
An Indian passport is of three types which are as follows:-
The blue passport is issued to the general population which can be used for travel or business purposes.
Indian diplomats and top-ranking officials such as IPS and IAS are issued a diplomatic passport. It is maroon in colour.
Diplomatic passport holders receive distinctive treatment and an easier immigration process.
These are the white colour passports that are issued to the persons representing the Indian government.
It offers some special powers to the holders and has a different application process.
Hello! My name is Mansi Shrivastava who happens to have a knack for writing. It has not always been what I admired but developing into a writer was something I appreciate the most now. When not glued to the computer screen, I love to try my hand in arts and crafts. Also, binge-watching with a bowl of snacks has always been my thing.
Other Popular Posts from Author:-