Information Technology Security
What is Information Security or IT Security?
Information Technology security is a type of cybersecurity that thrives to save the data that is being sent across the network in different organizations.
IT security protects computer systems, networks, servers from unauthorized access or attack from hackers.
Every network is unique and needs professionals who are skilled to protect it. Information technology security deals with saving the data within the network and making sure important the data are not lost or stolen.
Role of IT security
IT security professionals play a very important role in a team as they are responsible for the safety and security of the entire organization’s hardware, software and other devices. Every company or organization will have an IT security policy.
The objective of having IT security is that the employee’s or the client’s information, confidentiality data is secured. In general, IT security deals with securing devices, applications, databases, and software.
The method of protecting the network to make it safe, against the malicious attack by hackers is known as security engineering.
Security engineers perform testing and managing the software and networks by installing firewalls and different encryption methods.
Three types of IT security
Following are the various types of IT security –
- Network security – Network security deals with the interaction between different hardware and software devices. The main aim of network security is to protect the network infrastructure from malicious attacks. Device configuration and encryption is the key task of security engineers. Creating a secure environment for employees to work is the main goal of network security.
- Internet security – This type of security falls under the cybersecurity category. Internet security deals with protecting the data over browsers. For example, If the user has sent an email and it is yet to be received by the recipient, hackers may hijack before data getting delivered stealing the required information.
- Endpoint security – This kind of security deals with devices. Mobiles, tabs, laptops and desktop computers, hard drives are the devices that need endpoint security. There are multiple device management software’s available which keeps the device safe. Normally the security professionals install the software not only in the device but on the company’s server. When any update is required, the main servers update all the other endpoint devices making sure all the devices are secure.
- Application security – This type of security involves protecting software applications. Application programming interfaces are the entry point for the malicious attacks so the IT security team has to find and fix them using specialized tools.
- Cloud security – This type of security testing involves protecting the data in cloud computing. Normally the cloud provider gives a solution for cloud security but it is the responsibility of the organization also to get the right security solution to safeguard from unauthorized access.
Why is IT security important?
IT security is important to ensure the company’s confidentiality and secure data, as it allows access to only authorized users. It prevents the hijackers to impact on the organization.
Every business and every individual needs to implement IT security measures, and the key to it is, finding the best security plan that fits in for an organization.
There is an international standard ISO 27001 that defines the requirements and specifications for implementing the ISMS (Information security management system).
An ISMS is a process that is defined to manage, monitor and improve the organization’s information security.
Most of the companies implement ISMS to protect their confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Some of the benefits of implementing ISMS are as follows –
- Secures and protects all the information.
- It helps to improve the culture of an organization as they follow standard practices.
- It provides a framework for maintaining the company’s information safe.
- Provides protection across the organization
- Reduces costs related to information security
Finally, information security is very important for small as well as large companies to save all the data and information from threats and attacks.