Know your PAN – Permanent Account Number
This article intends to take you through the complete details about How to apply for a PAN card and its application process. After reading this article we are sure that you will definitely Know Your PAN (Permanent Account Number) and will be able to find all answers in this post.
For a better understanding, we have included its meaning, importance, uses, features, advantages, and more.
Alongside this, we have furnished the process of application with the fee.
Various other information about PAN card in India has been included for you to go through and develop a better knowledge base of the topic.
What is a PAN card in India?
PAN or Permanent Account Number is an identification number assigned by the Income-tax department to all the taxpayers or assesses in India.
It is used to identify the various taxpayers in India.
It is a 10-digit unique identification alphanumeric number that is assigned to all the Indians who pay taxes.
It is a computer-based system that assigns a unique identification to each PAN cardholder.
It is a physical card that contains the name, DOB, photograph, and certain other details of the holder.
Through a PAN card, all the information related to tax is recorded against a single permanent identification number.
It acts as the primary key for the storage of information of the cardholder or entity.
Who is eligible to apply for PAN?
Anyone who pays taxes in India can apply for and obtain a PAN card. Individuals, NRIs, companies, trusts, societies, foreigners can get PAN required they fulfill the required conditions.
How to apply for PAN Card online?
The online process is the most simplified way to obtain a PAN card. You are only required to fill out the online application and submit it along with the fee and copies of the document for verification purposes.
The steps to apply for a PAN card online are as follows:-
- Open the PAN card application form available on NSDL
- Go through the complete instructions before you fill out the application form
- Fill in all the details asked in the form
- Make the payment of the fee. The fee for it is Rs. 93 (excluding GST) for Indian Communication addresses
- Send the supporting documents through courier/ post to NSDL
- The PAN application is processed once the documents are received
How to apply for a duplicate PAN Card?
You can request a duplicate PAN card if your PAN Card has been lost, damaged, or misplaced.
You can get a duplicate PAN card issued easily by following the procedure which the Income-tax department has provided.
- Those who do not wish to undergo the legal process can apply for a new or fresh PAN card.
- File an FIR first after which you can request for reprinting your PAN.
STEP 1: Visit the official website of the Tax Information Network – National Securities Depository Limited (TIN-NSDL)
STEP 2: Choose the option of “Reprint PAN Card”
STEP 3: Click on the “Apply button”
STEP 4: Select the kind of PAN you wish to replace
STEP 5: Fill up the form with all the details asked
STEP 6: Submit the important documents along with proof of existing card which you want to reprint
STEP 7: Make the fee payment
Guidelines for applying for a PAN card
The Income Tax PAN Services unit has furnished certain guidelines to be followed. This would ensure a smooth and correct flow of the application process.
The Guidelines issued are as follows:-
- The form 49A is filled out and submitted online
- The form should be filled in BLOCK LETTERS
- In case of error, rectify and resubmit the form
- All the data you have filled in will appear on a confirmation screen
- Edit it or confirm the details
- Upon submission, you will get a 15-digit acknowledgment number displayed
- Save and print the acknowledgment
- Payment can be made through debit card/ credit card or net banking facility
- PAN application should have a scanned image of photograph, supporting documents, and signature. The following are the specifications for the same:
|Sr. No.||Parameters||Photograph||Signature||Supporting Documents|
|1.||Resolution (DPI)||200 DPI||200 DPI||200 DPI|
|2.||Type||Colour||Colour||Black and White|
|3.||File type||JPEG||JPEG||PDF/ A or JPEG|
|4.||Size||Max. 20 KB||Max. 10 KB||Max 300 KB/ page|
|5.||Dimensions||3.5 X 2.5 cm||2 X 4.5 cm||–|
- For further information, you can contact the following:
- PAN/ TDS call centre – 020 – 27218080; Fax: 020 – 27218081
- e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
- SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. Send to 57575 to obtain the application status
- Write to – INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited), 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016
What are the documents required for PAN Card?
For an individual who is a citizen of India, the following documents are required as proof of identity, address, and date of birth:-
Proof of Identity
- Elector’s photo identity card
- Ration card with the photograph of the applicant
- Driving license
- Arm’s license
- Aadhaar card
- Pensioner’s card
Proof of address
- Landline telephone or broadband connection bill
- Water bill
- Electricity bill
- Bank account statement
- Consumer gas connection card or book piped gas bill
- Depository account statement
- Credit card statement
Proof of birth date
- Birth certificate issued by Municipal Authority or any authorized office
- Marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages
- Pension payment order
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving license
- Domicile certificate issued by the Government
- Affidavit is sworn before a magistrate which states the date of birth
How do you request PAN card changes or corrections?
You can apply for corrections or changes in the details related to your PAN card. Follow these steps which are mentioned below:-
STEP 1: Visit the Income Tax e-filing website and go to the update Pan / Aadhaar details section
STEP 2: Go to the application type dropdown menu and select the “Changes or correction in existing PAN data/reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data) option
STEP 3: Go to the “category” dropdown menu and select the ‘category of assessee’
STEP 4: Fill in the details and Captcha code. Click on the “Submit” button. Continue the process
STEP 5: After you proceed, your page will redirect to a form to submit your documents. There are three options available from which you have to choose your desired alternative.
- Digital submission through e-KYC and e-sign
- Scanned images submission through e-sign on NSDL e-gov or C-DAC (e-sign charges – 5.90 Rs.)
- Submit the documents physically
Fill in the details. Scroll down to the correction part and tick the option where you want correction and click “Next”.
STEP 6: On the address and contact page, change anything if you want and click “Next”
STEP 7: Furnish the proof of address, proof of identity, and proof of DOB. Submit Aadhaar card as the proof of all three and a copy of your PAN or the PAN allotment letter
STEP 8: Sign the declaration and mention the number of documents attached as proof. Click “Submit”
STEP 9: Upload the scanned copies of the enclosed documents and look at the preview of your form. Review it and click “Submit”
STEP 10: Pay the correction or updating fee of your PAN details which is Rs. 110 (if the communication address is within India) or Rs. 1020 (if the communication address is located in a different country.
Upon successful payment, an acknowledgment slip is generated
STEP 11: Take a printout of the Acknowledgement Slip and send it to the NSDL e-gov office along with the physical proof of the documents enclosed
Affix a photograph in the space given in sign across the photograph
STEP 12: On top of the envelope, write “Application for PAN Change” and mail it to the following address:
NSDL e-Gov at Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016′
- Download the Pan correction offline
- Fill out the form and submit it at your nearest NSDL collection center along with the copies of the required documents
- File a letter with the jurisdictional assessing officer
- Tick the boxes carefully while filling out the form. The same form is used for correcting existing PAN, reissuance of PAN, and surrendering the extra PAN card
- Sent the acknowledge slip you will receive upon form submission to the NSDL office. It should reach the office within 15 days of filing requests.
What is the structure of a PAN Card?
The details on the structure of the PAN card are as follows:-
- Name of the cardholder/ company
- Name of father of cardholder (individual cardholders)
- Date of birth or date of registration
- 10 letters alphanumeric PAN number
- Signature of Individual
- Photograph of the individual
What does the 10 digit alphanumeric number represents?
First three letters: It has three alphabets from the alphabetical series
The Fourth letter: Represents the category of the taxpayer which is as follows-
- A – Association of persons
- B – Body of Individuals
- C – Company
- F – Firms
- G – Government
- H – Hindu undivided Family
- L – Local Authority
- J – Artificial Judicial person
- P – Individual
- T – Association of persons for a trust
Fifth letter: It is the first letter of the individual’s surname
Remaining letters: Random characters with numbers and the last one as a random alphabet
How long does it take to get a new PAN Card?
After you apply for a PAN card, you have to send the documents for verification.
Unless and until the documents are received by the department, verification cannot be done and the process cannot be initiated further.
Usually, from the date of the online application, the PAN Card is dispatched within 20-25 working days.
In certain cases, it might take 30 days. Till now, it has never been late than 30 days.
In an instance of failed authentication, you will be notified. It can be due to technical error, inadequate documentation or anything else.
You will have to take measures to rectify it and get it done immediately.
This might take time but will be delivered to you as soon as the problem is cleared. Therefore, be careful while filling out your application form.
How to get a PAN Card within two days?
You can get a PAN card within 48 hours of making an application by following the given procedure:-
STEP 1 – Login to the TIN-NSDL website
STEP 2 – Choose the type of form and type of applicant from the drop-down menu. Fill in the requested details
STEP 3 – Submit the application form
STEP 4 – Track the status of your application
STEP 5 – Once the details are verified and processed, you will receive your PAN within 48 hours or 2 days
How is the PAN card delivered?
The PAN card is delivered to the applicant’s address via speed post or courier.
After your application has been processed and documents verified, the PAN card is dispatched to your given address.
What if you were not able to receive your PAN card?
PAN card is delivered to the address which is provided as address proof of the applicant.
In case, you were unable to receive the courier, it will be returned undelivered.
In this case, you will have to request NSDL/ UTI for resending the PAN card. Follow these steps to make a request:-
- Visit the official website of TIN-NSDL
- Click on the “Customer Care” button
- Select the “Complaints/ Queries” option
- Fill the form under the section with your query
- Submit the form
Apart from the online process, you can visit the nearest local NSDL facility and file your query. You can find your nearest NSDL facility here.
What is the fee for applying for PAN Card?
|Sr. No.||Parameters||Fees ( ) (1)||GST@ 18% ( ) (2)||Total ( ) (3)||Chargeable amount ( ) (4)|
|PAN Applications – Applicant opts for physical PAN Card|
|1.||Dispatch of physical PAN Card in|
India (Communication address is
|2.||Dispatch of physical PAN Card|
outside India (where the foreign address is
provided as an address for communication
|PAN Applications – Applicant opts for e-PAN Card (No physical card requested)|
|1.||The communication address is Indian|
|2.||Communication address is foreign|
Can you download the PAN Card?
Follow these steps to download PAN from the website through the acknowledgment number:-
Yes, you can download a soft copy of your PAN card. You can get it from the TIN-NSDL portal through your Acknowledgement number or your PAN and Date of Birth.
- Visit the webpage on the NSDL portal to download the PAN card
- Enter your Acknowledgement number which you received after submitting the application
- Click on “Generate OTP”
- Enter the OTP which you will receive and click on “Validate”
- Download the Pan by clicking on “Download PDF”
Follow these steps to download PAN from the website through the PAN and Date of Birth:
- Visit the NSDL e-pan portal
- Enter the required details i.e. PAN, date of Birth, and Captcha Code
- Click on “Submit”
- Download the e-PAN card
What if you do not have a PAN card?
PAN card is considered to be one of the most important financial documents in India.
It is issued by the Income Tax Department as a unique Identity document of the taxpayers.
It has to Income Tax Department to keep a track of all the financial transactions and it facilitates the easy retrieval of your information.
PAN card is mandatory in certain cases which are as follows:-
- If you are an income tax assessee and you are liable to pay Income Tax during the financial year or file income tax returns
- If you are an owner of any business or profession whose turnover or revenue exceeds Rupees 500000 in any year
- A list of transactions has been issued by the Income Tax Department which quote having a pan card mandatory:
- Selling or buying a vehicle
- Opening a DEMAT or bank account
- Making payment of more than 50000 rupees in a hotel or Restaurant Bill
- Applying for a credit or debit card
- Buying foreign currency of mutual funds more than rupees 50000 etc.
Can you open a bank account without PAN Card?
Yes, you can open a bank account without having a PAN card. As per RBI guidelines, you can open a bank account through various other identification documents such as Aadhaar card, voter ID, etc.
However, for certain transactions like deposits or withdrawals above a certain amount, having a PAN card is mandatory.
Also, for opening a time deposit or other forms of deposit, it is mandatory to furnish a PAN card.
How to link Aadhaar with a PAN card?
The Supreme Court has made linking Aadhaar with PAN mandatory. Without doing it, your income tax return will not be processed.
Moreover, to carry out banking transactions amounting to more than 50000 rupees, you need to have your PAN card and Aadhaar linked.
The deadline for linking the two was 31st March 2020 which has been extended to 30th June 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The steps to link the PAN with Aadhaar online can be done by the following steps as mentioned below:
STEP 1: Visit the Income-tax e-filing website
STEP 2: Enter the details asked on the page
STEP 3: For verification, enter the Captcha code as mentioned in the image
STEP 4: Click on “Link Aadhaar”
After you have clicked on the button, a pop-up message will appear that the PAN and Aadhaar numbers have been linked.
To link PAN and Aadhaar through SMS, you should follow the following steps:
STEP 1: Type a message in the following format – UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>
STEP 2: Send the message to either of the numbers – 56161 or 567678
Your Aadhaar and PAN will be linked through this process.
What are the advantages and importance of a PAN card?
PAN Card is an essential document for all entities and individuals. It has various applications and benefits which are as follows:-
- For all those who are eligible for filing their income tax returns, a PAN card is necessary for that purpose
- PAN card serves as a valid identity proof at all Financial Institutions and other organizations
- PAN card helps you in tax deductions by reducing the TDS slab
- For the purpose of claiming an income tax refund, a PAN card must be linked to the person’s bank account
- For the purpose of opening a bank account, having a PAN card is mandatory. However, few exceptions such as Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana are there
- Also, to open a DEMAT account you need a pan card to hold shares in dematerialized form
- During your foreign travel, cash payments of more than 50000 rupees inclusive of Forex purchases require a PAN card
- Making a time deposit with a bank, non-financial Institutions, post office requires you to have a PAN card
- Payments and bills of more than 50000 Rupees at hotels and restaurant bills demands a PAN card to be furnished
FOR INCOME TAX AUTHORITY
- The IT department can keep a track of all the financial transactions which are considered essential in assessing the tax liability of an individual
- A unique PAN number is issued to every holder which minimizes the possibility of misuse
- It acts as a significant tool to anticipate the total tax revenue generated in the country
- Help the department to fix the rate at which the person should be taxed based on their earnings
INSTANT PAN CARD FACILITY
Nirmala Sitharam, the finance minister of India launched the instant PAN card facility recently.
All those PAN applicants having a valid Aadhaar number and a registered mobile number with the UIDAI database can avail of the facility.
The process is paperless. The income tax department issues an electronic PAN to the applicants free of cost.
The ‘Beta version’ of the facility is on a trial basis. This Aadhaar based instant PAN allotment service is to assign the PAN on a near-real-time basis.
It is important to note that only those individuals can avail of the PAN allotment facility who have not been allotted a permanent identification number (PAN) before.
Also, the applicant should not be a minor on the application date of the PAN. To avail of the instant Permanent Account Number (PAN) facility follow these steps as mentioned below:
1st step – Visit the e-filing website of the income tax department. Follow this link to the website.
2nd step – Click on the ‘Get New Pan’ button. It will redirect you to the desired page.
3rd step – Enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code. Tick the confirm box to proceed. Through this, you confirm that you have never been allotted PAN before and your mobile number is linked with your Aadhaar number and other details.
4th step – Then, click on the ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’ button.
5th step – Enter the OTP you received on the registered mobile number. The PAN will be allotted to you in no time.
Also Read:- How to link Pan with Aadhar?
Hello! My name is Mansi Shrivastava who happens to have a knack for writing. It has not always been what I admired but developing into a writer was something I appreciate the most now. When not glued to the computer screen, I love to try my hand in arts and crafts. Also, binge-watching with a bowl of snacks has always been my thing.
I hope that this detailed article on Know Your PAN – Permanent Account Number will surely help you out to get all the answers to your related query.