Introduction:- In this article, we will learn about What is the National Register of Citizens (NRC) of India. We will learn here about all the relevant information related to this topic like the rule, documents required, how to apply, the official website of NRC. Apart from that, we will also cover the latest information on this topic.
What is the National Register of Citizens (NRC)?
The National Register of Citizens (NRC) of India is a register that was initially prepared post the census of 1951 of India for Assam state. This register contains details like names and other relevant information for the identification of Indian citizens in Assam. However, it is pertinent to mention that the final NRC list was updated and released recently on 31 Aug 2019.
What is the purpose of NRC?
The purpose of NRC is to identify all the illegal migrants (Bangladeshi) residing in the state of Assam, who had entered in Assam after midnight on 24 March 1971. These Bangladeshi refugee had entered into the state of Assam during the Bangladesh freedom war of 1971.
Important Facts about the National Register of Citizens (NRC):-
- NRC was initially specifically made for the state of Assam.
- Assam is the first state which had updated its NRC recently on 31 Aug 2019.
- The process of updating NRC for Assam began in the year 2013 on the order of the Supreme Court of India.
- The NRC was first prepared after the 1951 Census of India.
- As per the rule of NRC, only those people of Assam would be included in the list who were citizens of Assam and their ancestors were from Assam before 24 March 1971.
- The people living before 24 March 1971 are only considered as the citizens of Assam.
- National Register of Citizens (NRC) official website is http://www.nrcassam.nic.in/index-M.html
What is the eligibility criteria to get included in NRC?
- A person whose name appears in any of the electoral rolls before midnight of 24 March 1971.
- A person having the name in NRC of 1972.
- Persons who had moved to Assam on 01 Jan 1966 but before midnight of 24 March 1971.
- All persons who can provided documents as per List A and B.
List A Documents required for inclusion of Name in NRC:-
- NRC of 1951
- Electoral Roll up to midnight on 24 March 1971.
- Land and Tenancy records.
- Permanent Residential certificate.
- Refugee registration certificate.
- Citizenship certificate.
- Govt. issued license/certificate.
- The birth certificate
- The post office or Bank accounts.
- Education certificate.
- Records of court orders/process
List B Documents required for inclusion of Name in NRC:-
- Electoral Roll
- Land Document
- Ration Card
- Birth certificate
- LIC/Bank records
- Educational certificates
- Marriage certificates
The documents supported in List B are used to verify the relationship of persons with his ancestor.
How can I apply for the National Register of Citizens (NRC)?
One can apply for NRC online or Offline modes. For offline mode, people have to visit their nearest NRC Seva Kendra also known as NSKs for filling up and submission of their application form. Every applicant receives a unique Application Receipt Number or ARN along with the duplicate copy of their relevant documents.
An online application can be submitted through http://nrcassam.nic.in/ . For further detailed information please visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Citizens_of_India.
National Register of Citizens (NRC) to apply all over India:-
Home Minister Amit Shah on 20 November 2019 said in Rajya Sabha that NRC will be implemented all over India irrespective of caste and religion. Recently, the final updated list of NRC was released on 31 Aug 2019 for Assam residents. He said that people whose names are missing in the NRC list can approach tribunals set up at the tehsil level. Any person who is not able to hire a lawyer, the government will hire a lawyer for those people.