SIGNAL APP – How to Download Signal App and its Uses
In this write-up, we will talk about Signal App. We have included several details regarding the app such as founder, features, how to download Signal App, safety, security, privacy features, owners and more. Let’s get along and explore.
Claiming to be a safe alternative, people are speculating regarding the details and safety of the app.
However, not many people know properly about the app.
What is Signal App?
The signal app is a messaging service platform offering cross-platform encrypted messaging services.
It is developed by the Signal Foundation and Signal Messenger LLC.
With the use of the internet, the users can send one-to-one and group messages including voice notes, files, images and videos among other media.
The Signal App primarily focuses on ensuring user privacy through several built-in features to keep the chats and conversation secure.
Signal Foundation, a non-profit organization that owns Signal App, is dependent upon donations and contributions they receive from users and charity.
Moreover, it offers end-to-end encryption that promotes user privacy at all times.
Also Read:- What is Whatsapp Web?
Who is the creator of the Signal app?
Moxie Marlinspike created the Signal App. He is currently the CEO of Signal Private Messenger and is an American cryptographer as well.
The app is developed under the Signal Foundation which was created by Brian Acton, the co-founder of Whatsapp and Marlinspike.
In 2017, Brian Acton left Whatsapp when it was taken over by Facebook.
Moreover, he has contributed approximately 50 million dollars to fund the Signal App.
What is Signal Foundation?
Officially known as Signal Technology Foundation, the Signal Foundation is an American non-profit organization.
It was founded in 2018 by Brian Acton and Moxie marlinspike with a mission “to develop open-source privacy technology that protects free expression and enables secure global communication.”
- The initial funding of the foundation was contributed by Brian Acton which was approximately 50 million dollars.
- However, the initial funding by Acton was served as a loan instead of a donation to the non-profit foundation.
- The loan served is provided at 0% interest and is unsecured.
- Previously, the Freedom of the Press Foundation served as the fiscal sponsor of Signal project.
- While the non-profit status of the foundation was pending, it continued to accept donations in the name of the project and foundation.
Alongside, the Signal Messenger LLC was founded with the Signal Technology Foundation in parallel.
It operates as a subsidiary of the foundation with Moxie Marlinspike as its CEO.
Signal Messenger LLC is primarily involved with the development and maintenance of Signal messaging app and Signal protocol.
What is Signal app used for?
The Signal App is a messaging app where the users can freely engage in individual as well as group conversations.
It has a keen focus on the privacy and security of users and their data.
Moreover, users can send texts, images, audio, files and other media on the platform to other users or groups.
Features of Signal app
Signal has several features which the users can take benefit of. It primarily emphasizes on user safety but comes along with plenty of other features which are as follows:-
- It has state-of-the-art end-to-end encryption for complete safety and security of your data and conversation.
- No third party can read or gain access to your conversations, calls or media shared.
- You can share texts, voice notes, images, documents, GIFs and other media free of cost or charge.
- The app runs on your mobile data and does not require any separate connection or requirement
- You can make crystal-clear video and voice calls to anywhere in the world without any additional charges
- The app has encrypted stickers for users. Also, the users can create and share their sticker packs on Signal.
- Users can make group chats allowing them to easily connect with their friends, family, colleagues and more.
- You will not have any ads, affiliate marketing or tracking in Signal. With this, the users can freely share their moments without any obstructions
- The app is not tied to any major tech company and is an independent non-profit organization. The app development is funded and supported through donations from people across the world.
- Users cannot be automatically added to any group. Instead, an invite is sent to the users. When it is accepted, the users become a member of a group.
- Signal allows a disappearing messages feature to the users with a time range of 5 seconds to one week
- It collects minimal data from the users. The data collected is one which is required by the organization for sole and personal purposes.
How to download Signal app
Download and Setup Signal app on Android or iOS
- Search for ‘Signal’ on Google play or app store on Android and iPhone devices respectively.
- Download the app and complete the set up on your phone.
- For app setup, follow these steps:
- Tap on the Signal icon on your device
- Provide all the necessary permission which the Signal app will ask for to function
- It is not mandatory to allow access to the camera, photos, phone, microphone etc unless required
- Sign up on the app using your phone number and entering the ‘one-time password’
- Enter your name and profile and pictures
- The set up is complete.
- You can go to the app settings for further setup and customizations.
Download and Setup signal on computer or laptop
- Go to the ‘Signal’ website and click on ‘Get Signal’ option present on the top of the website
- Download ‘Signal’ on Mac or Window’s based laptop or computer
- Once downloaded, link the desktop app to the phone
- Scan the QR code as prompted
- Open ‘Signal’ on your mobile phone and go to the menu.
- Find ‘Linked devices’ option and click on ‘Link the device’ option. This will require camera access
- Scan the QR code on the desktop.
- Your desktop version of ‘Signal is set up for use.’
How to use ‘Signal’
- To send a message to an individual, tap on the pencil icon on the corner of the screen. This pulls up the list of your contacts from your phone. Tap on the contact you want and start typing.
- You can search for Signal users, who are not in your contact list, by clicking on ‘Find my phone number’
- To make an audio or video call, select the contact you want and tap on the phone or camera icon. The icons appear on the upper corner of the app screen.
- If you want to chat with a group, tap on the pencil icon and make a new group by selecting the ‘new group’ option. Select the group members from your contacts or by phone number, then enter the group name and tap create.
- You can send app or group invite link to other contacts or individuals.
- You can make group calls on the app from a group chat. However, the limit is only up to five members
- You can enable disappearing messages feature by going to the chat settings and then enabling the feature.
- Users can customize app notifications by visiting app settings and make the required changes.
- To send media, tap on the camera icon, then click on capture or upload media and send.
- Users can blur out the portions of the images by using the checkerboard icon.
- To delete your ‘Signal’ account, go to settings, then advanced and then tap on the delete account button. All your information and data related to the app will be deleted.
Is the Signal app a good messaging app?
Yes, given the features and privacy considerations, Signal can be a good alternative for your regular messaging apps.
The huge number of people shifting to Signal after privacy concerns provide strong arguments in favour of using Signal.
Is the Signal app safe?
Yes, as stated and claimed by the Signal Foundation, the app has a keen focus on the privacy and security of its users.
Moreover, it has several privacy features which contribute towards ensuring the highest level of privacy for its users.
The safety of the Signal app has been recommended by the famous whistleblower Edward Snowden.
Also, the CEO of Tesla, Elon musk recommended the use of Signal.
Also, Signal provides a lot of security and privacy features for all of its users.
Is Signal better than WhatsApp?
Considering the privacy point of view, Signal gains higher points than WhatsApp.
It has better privacy alternatives and features such as second password and biometric authentication among others.
However, when you consider the features of a messaging app, WhatsApp steals the first place.
Also, your use of WhatsApp or Signal depends on the people present on the apps.
If your social circle is majorly present on one app, you are the one to determine the use.
Privacy features of Signal app
As stated earlier, the primary focus of the signal app is privacy and security without any compromise on its features.
However, it has several privacy features to ensure the best protection of the users and their data.
The privacy features of the Signal app are as follows:-
- Users get an option of ‘Relay calls’ in the app’s privacy settings. Through this, the calls go through a Signal server avoiding the reveal of your IP address to your contact. However, if you enable this feature, your call quality might reduce but this is not always the case.
- Users can turn their read receipts on and off. Also, the typing indicators can be turned on and off. Moreover, Signal does not offer any status as seen; it only shows when the user is online.
- Users can turn off link previews from websites when you send them in messages.
- Users can set up a security PIN to add additional security to the accounts. However, the users have to remember this PIN to recover the data when required. If not, you will lose access to data and account. The PIN can be changed in the app settings.
- You also get a Screen Lock feature with Signal App. However, users can answer incoming calls, message notifications even when the app screen is locked.
Can you use Signal on laptops or iPads?
Yes, the users can use Signal on their laptops and iPads. The users have to link their account with the ones on their mobile phones.
However, upon linking, your chat history is not transferred.
For example – You are using Signal on your iPhone or Android device and you link it to your Mac, iPads or laptop by using the QR code feature.
Users can find this feature in – App setting < Linked Devices Feature.
Your Signal account will be linked with other device but will not show your previous conversations or chat history.
This happens because all the message history of Signal is stored on an individual device on which it is used to send the messages and media.
Can you backup chats on the Signal app?
No, users do not have the option to backup your conversation or messages on Signal.
If the user loses access to the old device or sets up a Signal account in a new device, he/ she will lose access to all the previous messages or conversations.
This is because, as per Signal, all the media, messages, files and other content is locally stored on the device on which you are using the app.
However, data transfer on a new device is possible. You can transfer your data from your old device to a new device.
If you lose your phone, clear your phone data or change your number, you cannot restore the messages, chats or conversations.
Is the Signal app owned by Facebook?
No, the Signal app is not owned by Facebook. It is owned and developed by the Signal Foundation and Signal private Messenger.
Signal Foundation is a non-profit organization which is funded by donations and charity from people across the world.
Can Signal app calls be tapped?
Signal provides end-to-end encryption on voice and video calls as well. This means that no third party has access to your calls you make through the app.
Every audio or video call is private just like the messages and media you share on the platform.
What data is collected by Signal app?
If you go through the privacy nutrition label on the app store, it only states that the app only collects the contact info of the users, which is the phone number of the users.
Moreover, all the messages and calls of the users on the app are end-to-end encrypted.
This indicates that no can the third party, including Signal, has access to them.
- This primarily involves the phone number with which the users create an account.
- Moreover, any other useful information such as profile picture and profile name is end-to-end encrypted.
- The app servers store some additional technical information that includes “randomly generated authentication tokens, keys, push tokens, and other material that is necessary to establish calls and transmit messages.”
- The signal does not store any information related to your calls or messages on its servers. However, the end-to-end encrypted messages are queued on its servers until they are delivered to temporarily offline devices.
- Signal cannot decrypt or access any data, information or content related to your calls or messages
- Signal does not sell, monetize or rent the user personal data, information or content in any way with any other parties
Does Signal have business accounts?
The Signal app is a dedicated platform to provide direct communications between individuals.
It does not provide any service for business accounts for any type or size of the business, unlike WhatsApp.
- However, businesses can join or use Signal as regular accounts to connect with their users.
- The users have the option to block any contact they are not willing to contact or interact with.
If you want a messaging platform, where you can freely share messages and media, Signal App can be a great alternative.
It greatly emphasizes on user security and privacy. Therefore, you can also be assured of the safety and security of your data and information at all times.
Hello! My name is Mansi Shrivastava who happens to have a knack for writing. It has not always been what I admired but developing into a writer was something I appreciate the most now. When not glued to the computer screen, I love to try my hand in arts and crafts. Also, binge-watching with a bowl of snacks has always been my thing.